Tuesday 1 February 2011

St Moritz Race 7


The beautiful St Moritz, the only natural man made track in the world, made from blocks of ice from the frozen lake. Blue sky and sun, amazing....my training...pretty good; the race...could have gone better!!
First run was solid, although I did think it would and could have been quicker but I was very confident I would be able to pick up some time on the 2nd run. On the 2nd run as soon as I loaded onto my sled I could feel something wasn’t right, I kept getting pulled to the left so I struggled to keep it under control and was getting quite a few little hits and skids all the way down the track, so I dropped several places, wrong way around! I was planning to pick up some places!
That evening the coaches and I checked my sled (I do this before and after races, to make sure everything is in working order) we found that quite a few pieces in it were bent, not good! Don’t know how it happened, we are still trying to solve that mystery, but it did at least give me a reason as to why I was pulled to the left the whole time!
The best thing about the whole day though was the super surprise visit of my boyfriend, Petr. He had driven from Prague to see me race, I hadn’t seen him since the New Year! Was a great moment to see his face suddenly standing on the track shouting at me at the start! At least that gave me a smile to remember in St Moritz.